Immigration Lawyer Ari Sauer – The Immigration Answer Man

Memphis immigration lawyer Ari Sauer provides news and information on US immigration law.

If I abandon my green card can I get a green card in the future?

QUESTION: If I submit an I-407 form to abandon my green card, and I later decide I want a green card again, can I reapply?


Green Card Front

Green Card Front (Photo credit: Wikipedia)


Submitting an I-407 to the consulate gives up, or abandons, your U.S. Permanent Residence (green card). You no longer retain any of the benefits of being a U.S. Permanent Resident. If you later change your mind there is now way to reverse the process. If you wish to be a U.S. Permanent Resident again you will need to start all over again. You will need to have a basis for obtaining the residence (such as a sponsoring family member or employer). Depending on the basis for your eligibility to apply, the process to reapply for residence again could take several months or it could take many years.

You should consult with an immigration law attorney before submitting an I-407 and abandoning your residence.

If you would like assistance with this process or you would like to discuss this or other issues further, you can schedule a consultation with me by calling 1-800-343-4890 or 901-682-6455 or by clicking here to

schedule a consulation appointment with an immigration lawyer.

See instructions below for submitting your questions.

See immigration attorney Ari Sauer’s full bio.

Join The Immigration Answer Man – Ari Sauer Facebook Page for regular updates.
Connect with Ari Sauer on LinkedIn.
Follow Ari Sauer on Twitter.

Visit my blog, The Immigration Answer Man – Ari Sauer

Follow on Posterous at The Immigration Answer Man

Follow on Goole+ at The Immigration Answer Man – Ari Sauer

Follow on WordPress at The Immigration Answer Man

Follow on Tumbler at The Immigration Answer Man

Submit questions to The Immigration Answer Man by emailing your question to or by posting your question on Facebook, Twitter or Google+. Questions submitted by email will be posted without the personal information unless specifically requested. Where appropriate, and only upon request, a link to your website or blog can be included on The Immigration Answer Man blog. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions submitted will be answered. Only general questions can be answered on this blog. For answers to specific questions about your situation, please schedule a consultation.

* This is an advertisement. Ari Sauer is an attorney with the Siskind Susser law firm. On this blog we answer questions as a service to our readers, but we cannot assume any liability related to reliance on anything herein, and responses to questions are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Immigration laws and regulations are constantly changing and the rules stated may not apply to your situation. Readers are cautioned to schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer before acting on anything stated in this blog. This blog is not intended to substitute for a consultation with a qualified immigration law attorney. Ari Sauer is licensed to practice law through the states of New York and New Jersey. Certification as an Immigration Specialist is not currently available in Tennessee, New York or New Jersey. Siskind Susser limits its practice strictly to immigration law, a Federal practice area, and we do not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed.


3 comments on “If I abandon my green card can I get a green card in the future?

  1. taiyeba meraj
    January 12, 2019

    i already abandoned my green card two years ago. Now I want my green card back. what is the procedure? How much you charge?

  2. Pingback: If a US green card holder gives up their green card, can they apply for a visitor visa? | Immigration Lawyer Ari Sauer - The Immigration Answer Man

I welcome your comments or questions!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: