Immigration Lawyer Ari Sauer – The Immigration Answer Man

Memphis immigration lawyer Ari Sauer provides news and information on US immigration law.

How can I keep my green card while I am in college abroad?

QUESTION:  I have been permanent residents since 2010. I will be graduating from high school soon and am planning on going back to India for college. What must I do so that I can keep US permanent residence while I am in college?

THE IMMIGRATION ANSWER MAN – ARI SAUER:  US permanent residents must continue to maintain the US as their primary residence or they risk abandoning their status. Here are some tips on how a US permanent resident can maintain their status while they are studying abroad:

Obtain a Reentry Permit and return to the US before it expires. The Reentry Permit is only valid for 2 years. Do not stay abroad beyond the expiration date on the reentry Permit. The foreign national must be in the US when they apply for a new Reentry Permit;

Continue to use parents’ US address as primary residence;

File U.S. tax returns or have parents list foreign national on their tax returns. Be careful that the foreign national should not be listed as a nonresident on the tax returns;

Where possible the foreign national should return to the US at within one year. Even better is if the foreign national can return to the US within 6 months;

The foreign national should not purchase a home abroad;

The foreign national should not take employment abroad;

The foreign national should keep their US driver’s license current.

If you would like assistance with this process or you would like to discuss this or other issues further, you can schedule a consultation with me by calling 1-800-343-4890 or 901-682-6455 or by clicking here to

schedule a consulation appointment with an immigration lawyer.

See instructions below for submitting your questions.

See immigration attorney Ari Sauer’s full bio.

Join The Immigration Answer Man – Ari Sauer Facebook Page for regular updates.
Connect with Ari Sauer on LinkedIn.
Follow Ari Sauer on Twitter.

Follow on Goole+ at The Immigration Answer Man – Ari Sauer

Submit new questions to The Immigration Answer Man by emailing your question to or by posting your question on FacebookTwitter or Google+. Questions submitted by email will be posted anonymously unless your email specifically requests that your name or information to be included. Where appropriate, and only upon request, a link to your website or blog can be included on The Immigration Answer Man blog. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions submitted will be answered. Only general questions can be answered on this blog. For answers to specific questions about your situation, please schedule a consultation.

* This is an advertisement. Ari Sauer is an attorney with the Siskind Susser law firm. On this blog we answer questions as a service to our readers, but we cannot assume any liability related to reliance on anything herein, and responses to questions are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Immigration laws and regulations are constantly changing and the rules stated may not apply to your situation. Readers are cautioned to schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer before acting on anything stated in this blog. This blog is not intended to substitute for a consultation with a qualified immigration law attorney. Ari Sauer is licensed to practice law through the states of New York and New Jersey. Certification as an Immigration Specialist is not currently available in Tennessee, New York or New Jersey. Siskind Susser limits its practice strictly to immigration law, a Federal practice area, and we do not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed.


I welcome your comments or questions!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: