Immigration Lawyer Ari Sauer – The Immigration Answer Man

Memphis immigration lawyer Ari Sauer provides news and information on US immigration law.

There is a mistake on my I-94 card. How do I fix it?

Question: I am working in the U.S. on an H-1B visa. I have traveled abroad several times. I was looking at my I-94 card recently and saw that even though I came into the U.S. in May of this year, the expiration date on my I-94 says it expires in 2008. How do I have this corrected?

Answer: With the large number of I-94 Entry Exit Documents issued each year, sometimes Customs and Border Protection officers do write down the wrong expiration date on an I-94. It is important to correct these errors, as the I-94 is the document that controls a person’s status within the U.S.

Luckily, it is fairly simple to have an error corrected on an I-94 card issued at a port of entry. You can do this at your local CBP office. You do not have to go back to the port of entry that issued the I-94. Any CBP office can make the correction. I recommend that you call the CBP office first as most offices will only allow you to come on certain days or by appointment only. You can find you local CBP office at

I welcome your comments or questions!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on November 20, 2009 by in Uncategorized.
%d bloggers like this: