Immigration Lawyer Ari Sauer – The Immigration Answer Man

Memphis immigration lawyer Ari Sauer provides news and information on US immigration law.

How can I get another copy of my petition approval notice?

QUESTION: My dad applied for an I-130 relative petition for me in 2013. After following up with USCIS, we just learned that it was approved in February of 2015. But we never received the approval notice. How can I get a copy of the approval notice for this I-130 petition?

THE IMMIGRATION ANSWER MAN – ARI SAUER:  You can request a duplicate Notice of Approval for your petition, as long as the petition is approved and it has has not since been revoked, using immigration Form I-824, which is available on the USCIS website. I will warn you that USCIS is currently taking a long time to adjudicate Forms I-824 requests. The form must be filed by the Petitioner for the petition, which is usually the sponsoring relative or the sponsoring employer (in your case, your father is the Petitioner). If the Form I-824 is filed by the foreign national beneficiary, USCIS probably will not issue the duplicate Approval Notice.

There is a filing fee for this application, so it might be best to have a consultation appointment with me or another experienced immigration attorney first, so that you can determine whether you actually need the duplicate approval notice or not.

When the I-130 approval notice is lost, it often happens because the petitioner (in this case your father), moved and did not update their address with USCIS. So it is important for Petitioners to remember to update their address with USCIS each time they move, throughout the entire process, even after the petition is approved. Updating your address is currently done by submitting an immigration Form AR-11, which can be completed and submitted online, on the USCIS website.

Answered on January 8, 2016.

By Ari Sauer.

Submit questions to Ari Sauer – The Immigration Answer Man by emailing your question to Questions submitted by email may be posted on this site, without personal information, unless the email specifically requests that we not use the question for this site. Due to the volume of questions received, not all questions submitted will be answered. Only general questions can be answered on this blog. For answers to specific questions about your situation, please schedule a consultation appointment with attorney Ari Sauer. Sending in a question by email or any other means does not create an attorney-client relationship. * This is an advertisement. Ari Sauer is an attorney with the Siskind Susser law firm. On this blog we answer questions as a service to our readers, but we cannot assume any liability related to reliance on anything herein, and responses to questions are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship. Immigration laws and regulations are constantly changing and the rules stated may not apply to your situation. Readers are cautioned to schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer before acting on anything stated in this blog. This blog is not intended to substitute for a consultation with a qualified immigration law attorney. Ari Sauer is licensed to practice law through the states of Tennessee, New York and New Jersey but is eligible to assist clients from throughout the US. Certification as an Immigration Specialist is not currently available in Tennessee, New York or New Jersey. Siskind Susser limits its practice strictly to immigration law, a Federal practice area, and we do not claim expertise in the laws of states other than where our attorneys are licensed. the opinions expressed here are those of Ari Sauer and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Siskind Susser.

I welcome your comments or questions!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: