Immigration Lawyer Ari Sauer – The Immigration Answer Man

Memphis immigration lawyer Ari Sauer provides news and information on US immigration law.

I entered the U.S. on a K-1 visa. Now I do not want to marry my fiancee. Can I get my green card another way?

Question: I entered the U.S. using a K-1 visa. now I do not want to marry my fiancee. Is there some other way I can still get a green card?

Answer: Foreign nationals who enter the U.S. on a K-1 or K-3 “fiancee” visa cannot change status to another nonimmigrant status. They also are not eligible to apply to become Permanent Residents other than through marriage to their U.S. citizen fiancee or spouse. So your options are to marry your fiancee or leave the U.S. If you chose not to marry your fiancee and you remain in the U.S. beyond the 90 day period on your I-94, you will be out of status and unlawfully present.


I welcome your comments or questions!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


This entry was posted on September 1, 2009 by in K-1, Uncategorized.
%d bloggers like this: